banner banner banner banner banner banner
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
START YOUR DAY WITH RICH MINOR...THE MOST MUSIC & MOST FUN...PLUS NEWS, TRAFFIC AND WEATHER
CATCH MARIO LOPEZ ON 98Q...WEEKNIGHTS 7:00-11:00
THANKS FOR MAKING US GREATER DANBURY'S MOST LISTENED TO RADIO STATION!!
State News Stories

Subscribe To This Feed

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) A teacher at a college preparatory school has been arrested and charged with sexual assault following allegations she had an inappropriate relationship with a student.

The New Haven Register reports Kirvanna Jones, a math teacher at Engineering and Science University Magnet School, was charged Wednesday. She's also charged with risk of injury to a minor.

Officials say there's no evidence to indicate that any other students or teachers are involved. Jones had been a teacher at ESUMS since August 2014.

Superintendent of Schools Garth Harries confirmed last week that a teacher had been placed on administrative leave following the allegations and the school district had contacted police.

Jones is being held on $75,000 bail.

It's unclear if she's represented by an attorney.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) A music teacher at a Bridgeport elementary school has been charged with assaulting a special education student.

The Connecticut Post reports that 51-year-old Lydia Struble, of Stratford, a teacher at Thomas Hooker Elementary, was charged with third-degree assault in connection with the Feb. 4 incident.

Investigators say the 13-year-old girl told them Struble picked on her during class, called her names and yelled at her. At the end of class, Struble allegedly grabbed and pulled the girl's right wrist, then grabbed her left shoulder and forced her into a chair.

Police say the girl had bruising and scratches on her wrist, and a bruise that appeared to be a handprint on her shoulder.

Struble refused comment when reached by the newspaper. She's free on a promise to appear in court.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A bail bondswoman who authorities say shot her boyfriend to death in West Hartford has been convicted of manslaughter.

The Hartford Courant reports Angela Grasso of Plainville was acquitted of murder Wednesday but found guilty of first-degree manslaughter with a firearm in a Hartford court.

She faces up to 40 years in prison when she's sentenced April 13.

Authorities say the 29-year-old Grasso shot 23-year-old Jose Mendez in the head on April 9, 2014. Police said she told them she shot Mendez in self-defense.

Grasso told authorities Mendez repeatedly threatened to kill her and her family as they drove around in the car, after accusing her of cheating on him.

Prosecutors argued Grasso's self-defense claim had no grounds.

Grasso's lawyer says they're ``disappointed'' with the jury's verdict.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) Newly disclosed evidence has prompted a Connecticut judge to declare a mistrial in the case of a former local American Red Cross official accused of embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The Journal Inquirer reports that Middletown Superior Court Judge David Gold declared the mistrial Tuesday after hundreds of pages of emails involving the Red Cross' internal investigation of the embezzlement allegations were disclosed. The discovery of the emails raised the possibility of more delays in the trial.

Diane Williams, of East Hartford, is accused of embezzling money by increasing her pay when she was finance director of the Middlesex Central Connecticut Chapter of the Red Cross for eight years until 2010. Her lawyer says the extra payments were authorized.

Prosecutors will have the option of retrying the case.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A third man has been charged in connection with a sex trafficking investigation involving an 18-year-old woman who was held against her will, physically abused and forced into prostitution in Connecticut.

Forty-three-year-old London Barnes of Hartford turned himself into police last week on charges of first-degree sexual assault, first-degree kidnapping and other offenses.

Two other men were also arrested in January and face similar charges.

Hartford police said they rescued the Enfield woman from a North End address in September. Authorities said the woman was held against her will for about a month and forced to have sex with men.

Barnes is being held on $600,000 bond. It wasn't immediately clear if he has an attorney who could comment.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) UConn President Susan Herbst is asking lawmakers to spare the school major budget cuts, warning that continued cutting could lead to the elimination of academic programs, sports and the closing of regional campuses.

Herbst was the first of several leaders of Connecticut colleges and universities to go before the General Assembly's Appropriations Committee on Wednesday.

The lawmakers are grappling with a state budget shortfall of approximately $500 million for the next fiscal year.

Herbst says plans to cut UConn's budget by $31.4 million would wipe out the revenue generated by recent tuition hikes.

She also argued that the school has a $3.4 billion economic impact on the state and is ``one of the most important tools Connecticut has to help build its economic future.''

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

ORANGE, Conn. (AP) A Connecticut man has been charged with attempted murder after police allege he stabbed his mother multiple times.

Police responding to a complaint of assault at an Orange home at around 3:20 a.m. Friday and found a woman suffering from multiple knife wounds to her chest, face, head and both hands.

She was taken to a hospital for treatment. It's not clear what her current condition is. Authorities didn't immediately identify her.

Police say the woman's son, 21-year-old Charles Weber III, also suffered a knife wound. He was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree assault and attempted murder.

Weber is being held on $500,000 bond. It's not clear if he has an attorney who can comment.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A man who served more than 20 years in prison for a murder he did not commit has been awarded $6 million by the state of Connecticut.

Miguel Roman was released from prison in 2008 after DNA tests pointed to another man in the 1988 slaying of a 17-year-old girl in Hartford.

The Hartford Courant (cour.at/1SdHSQ0) reports Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. on Monday apologized to Roman in the award decision ``for the burden that he was forced to suffer'' during his imprisonment.

Roman was sentenced to prison for 60 years after a jury convicted him in 1990 of the killing of Carmen Lopez. Roman is now 59.

Another man, Pedro Miranda, was found guilty of the girl's murder in 2011 and is serving a life sentence.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Secretary of the State Denise Merrill wants people who are doing business with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles to be automatically registered to vote.

The Democrat announced Monday she submitted a proposal that would allow eligible DMV customers to be automatically registered unless they choose to opt out.

Merrill says the proposal, dubbed the motor-voter legislation, would make registering to vote more convenient and efficient and could bring ``countless new voters onto the rolls.''

It's up to the legislature's Government Administration and Elections Committee to raise the bill for further consideration.

There are currently variations of the motor-voter legislation in other states.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

MANCHESTER, Conn. (AP) Police say a Manchester man has been arrested for heroin possession just days after he was arrested on the same charges.

The Hartford Courant reports that 35-year-old Pedro Cartegena was arrested just after midnight Sunday.

Police say they found four bags of heroin in Cartegena's car during a traffic stop. He's charged with possession of heroin with intent to sell.

It's the second time in one week that Cartegena has been arrested on drug charges.

He was charged Feb. 2 with sale of illegal drugs and possession of a controlled substance after police say they saw him selling heroin. He was released on $150,000 bond.

Cartegena is again being held on $150,000 bond and is due in court Feb. 18.

It's unclear whether he's represented by an attorney.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HAMDEN, Conn. (AP) A teacher at a college preparatory school has been placed on paid administrative leave following allegations she had an inappropriate relationship with a high school student.

The New Haven Register reports Superintendent of Schools Garth Harries confirmed the teacher had been removed from Engineering and Science University Magnet School. He declined to name the teacher.

Harries says the alleged relationship was reported by a student. He says the school district immediately contacted police.

New Haven Public Schools said in a statement Thursday the teacher was removed from the classroom the previous day.

ESUMS is a public school for both middle and high school students. It's located in Hamden.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) Officials say at least three more people have been treated for suspected heroin overdoses in New London days after the city held a vigil calling attention to a spate of overdoses in recent weeks.

New London Battalion Chief Keith Nichols says emergency responders treated two male patients Saturday afternoon. A woman was treated about an hour later. All three were taken to an area hospital.

The overdoses come weeks after hospital officials reported an ``unprecedented'' number of heroin overdoses, with more than 20 cases between Jan. 27 and Feb. 5.

Officials had attributed the uptick to a potentially lethal supply of heroin.

The Day reports that two people died of suspected heroin overdoses in the city during the same period.

A vigil was held for the overdose victims on Thursday.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

ELLINGTON, Conn. (AP) The killing of a mother of two remains unsolved six weeks after she was shot to death in her Ellington home, leaving relatives frustrated and some town residents worried.

Authorities responded to a burglary alarm December 23rd and found 39-year-old Connie Dabate fatally shot and her husband, Richard Dabate, wounded in their home. Their two sons were in school at the time.

Richard Dabate was treated at a hospital and released.

State police only will say the case is still under investigation. Troopers previously said there was never any threat to the public, but they didn't elaborate.

A relative of Connie Dabate says the family is frustrated that there hasn't been an arrest yet.

Some town residents say they're worried, and the lack of an arrest is fueling speculation.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A bookmaker has pleaded guilty to charges he shot a gambler with a stun gun and tried to burn down a restaurant in a $190,000 insurance fraud scheme in Hartford.

The Hartford Courant reports 52-year-old John Barile pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to charges of arson, insurance fraud, gambling and extortion.

Authorities say the East Hartford man ran an illegal sports-related bookmaking operation from 2010 to 2014. Prosecutors say he shot a gambler with a stun gun to punish him for not paying his debts.

Prosecutors say Barile and three others plotted to burn down a pizzeria he and a partner owned in Middletown to collect an insurance payout in January 2010.

Barile is scheduled for sentencing on May 6th.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Governor Dannel P. Malloy wants Connecticut cities and towns to ensure emergency responders are equipped with overdose reversal drugs and trained to administer the medication.

The Democrat's legislation would also prohibit commercial health carriers from requiring prior authorization for coverage of naloxone.

While no plans currently require prior authorization, Malloy warned yesterday that such a requirement could create a barrier to individuals seeking the drug.

Connecticut State Police troopers have saved 63 lives using a law adopted in 2014 that authorizes anyone to administer an opioid antagonist if they believe, in good faith, someone is experiencing an opioid-related drug overdose. Previously, only licensed health care practitioners were allowed to administer the drug without facing civil or criminal liability.

After the law passed, troopers were trained to administer the medication.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

BANGOR, Maine (AP) A former Connecticut man who pleaded guilty to his role in a crack cocaine distribution ring in Maine has been sentenced to three years behind bars.

Twenty-eight-year-old Torrence Benton was sentenced to federal prison Thursday in a Bangor court.

Court documents say Benton, formerly of New Haven, Connecticut, distributed crack in the Bangor area between January 2010 and August 2013. He pleaded guilty last year.

The records say the source for the crack was in the New Haven area and it was transported to the Bangor area by other people involved in the conspiracy.

Benton has already served nearly three years in state prison.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) An East Hartford man who was convicted of murder in the 2009 shooting deaths of two people in Hartford has been sentenced to 80 years behind bars.

The Hartford Courant reports Angel Carrasquillo was sentenced on Thursday.

The 33-year-old Carrasquillo was found guilty in November of killing 23-year-old Leida Franqui and 32-year-old Luis Rodriguez in the early morning hours of Oct. 14, 2009.

Prosecutors said Carrasquillo and two others killed Rodriguez because he was selling drugs in Los Solidos gang territory. They said Franqui was killed because she witnessed the killing.

The defense argued the witnesses against Carrasquillo were unreliable and that there was no evidence that he shot anyone.

Carrasquillo maintained his innocence at the hearing, saying he had nothing to do with the crimes.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Connecticut Democrats have renamed an annual fundraising event after dropping the names of two presidents who owned slaves.

The Democratic State Central Committee on Wednesday voted to change the name of the event to the Connecticut Democratic Progress Dinner.

The name replaces the one the group had agreed to drop last year: the Jefferson Jackson Bailey Dinner.

The event was named decades ago for Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson. Later, Democratic party boss John Bailey's name was added to the dinner.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy told The Connecticut Post that we now live in a different society, and there are sensitivities today that didn't exist in the past.

The party will continue to honor Bailey by attaching his name to an annual leadership award.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy issued a somber warning to state lawmakers on Wednesday, cautioning that Connecticut's budget is not sustainable and that changes must be made to how the state crafts its budget to meet a "new economic reality" of shrinking revenues.

 

The Democrat said state government must "reset our expectations of what we can afford," as well as how it provides government services and saves for priorities.

 

"Together, this year we need to reshape the way Connecticut budgets," Malloy told a joint session of the General Assembly on the opening day of the new session. "We need to make our budget more predictable, more sustainable and more transparent."

 

Malloy's call for systemic budgetary changes, including a proposal that could reduce the state's workforce by more than 1,000 employees, comes as Connecticut continues to face a string of predicted budget deficits. It also follows last month's announcement that General Electric plans to move its headquarters from suburban Fairfield to Boston.

While his message of change was mostly welcomed by state legislators, Democrats and Republicans voiced some concerns about Malloy's proposed $19.8 billion budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1. It is $569 million less than what lawmakers originally agreed to last year, when they passed a two-year, $40 billion budget.

 

The new fiscal year is projected to have a $500 million shortfall. Larger deficits are predicted in the following two fiscal years.

 

Senate Minority Leader Len Fasano, R-North Haven, said he's concerned with Malloy's proposed 5.75 percent across-the-board cut to discretionary agency accounts, predicting certain residents could be unfairly impacted.

 

"I'm against it. Not the cuts, but I'm against doing it in this haphazard manner because there are a lot of people who need money, a lot of people who need services," he said, adding how the proposal could usurp the legislature's ability to make budgetary policy decisions.

 

Jeffrey L. Walter, interim CEO of the Connecticut Community Nonprofit Providers, warned the proposed spending cuts and budget policy changes "will devastate nonprofit programs" and curtail or eliminate "essential human services for thousands of individuals across the state."

 

A major highlight of Malloy's proposal calls for cutting state employee costs, including pension expenses. He expects the state's workforce will be reduced by more than 1,000 employees, either through attrition "or other means." His budget director, Ben Barnes, however said the figure could be several thousand, depending on how state agency heads cover the spending reductions included in Malloy's budget.

 

"I don't take that lightly, but I do think it's necessary," Malloy said of the job cuts. "I will continue to work with our state employees to make sure those reductions are done fairly and with great care."

 

SEIU 1199 New England, a union that represents 7,500 state employees, warned against cutting jobs that provide vital services, such as having safe drinking water or caring for people with disabilities.

 

"Let us learn the lessons from the Flint (Michigan) water crisis and understand that certain services and jobs are more than just a line item to be eliminated and can have dire consequences on our families and communities," said union spokeswoman Jennifer Schneider.

 

Malloy's budget proposal now becomes the basis of negotiations with the General Assembly, which will ultimately vote on a tax-and-spending plan. The session ends May 4.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

WALLINGFORD, Conn. (AP) Police say a Connecticut man shaved his head and took weight loss pills to convince people he had stage 3 brain cancer and collect thousands in donations.

Tyler Tomer, of Wallingford, was charged Wednesday with first-degree larceny and first-degree larceny by defrauding a public community.

Police say an investigation started in May after they received complaints that a man claiming to have cancer was collecting donations at benefits in his honor.

Police say there have been multiple benefits for the 29-year-old Tomer in Connecticut and Kansas. They say medical records determined he was never diagnosed with cancer.

Tomer allegedly accepted at least $22,000.

He is being held on $250,000 bond and is due in court Feb. 17. It's not clear if he has an attorney who can comment on the charges.

0
comments



 

What we searched for on Google in 2015.

  

 

Mind Games

What do you see first: Rabbit or Duck?

How do you feel about New Year's resolutions?
I try my best to stick to them.
Failure is almost certain.
Why bother?
They're an important part of starting a new year.
View Results
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services